Are you running out of good ideas to ignite the flame of love? Do you want to do something out of ordinary for your better half but just can’t put a finger on it? Worry not! We have you covered as you can plan the perfect RV camping date night after reading this blog. A word of caution though, this guide does not contain the wishy-washy stuff of fairytales, rather it includes practicable suggestions by yours truly that will rekindle your romance for a long time to come!
HOW TO PLAN THE PERFECT RV CAMPING DATE NIGHT?
Even though an RV – with all its warmth and coziness – spells love for us, you need to appreciate that you can’t fit in everything for your romantic endeavor in it. This limits your choice, especially if you are planning to surprise your partner. Rather than trying to cramp unnecessary stuff in your RV, here’s a list of the essential stuff you need to make love blossom.
Plan Early for the Win
When I imagine a date night, I imagine something special and unique, and I am sure you conjure something similar. I distinctly remember my girlfriend going on and on about a cozy retreat in the woods. She would talk about a campfire, steamy barbeque, and James Arthur’s ‘Say you won’t let go’ playing in the background. Well, I kept this in mind and she was blown away when I surprised her!
But trust me, planning everything at the last moment is too hectic, so you must start early and stick to a plan. Here’s what I did to make everything run smoothly.
- Create an itinerary: Spontaneity is a good thing, but things can spin out of control very quickly. You should create an itinerary way ahead of your scheduled date night so that you exactly know how the night will unfold.
- Make purchases early: Planning to get snacks, rent movies, or get hiking equipment? Better pick these early so that there are no last-minute shocks. You can also save some bucks by buying in bulk or availing of discounts.
- Do a weather check: Always double-check the weather forecast for the week leading up to your date night. The last thing you need is rain or snow to ruin your romantic outing.
Pro-tip: Be an active listener and make a list of all the things that your partner values or is excited about. This can include little things such as jamming, karaoke, cycling, or eating. It can add a unique touch to the whole experience!
Keep a Stash of Snacks/drinks
Food is the surest way to a person’s heart, and I don’t doubt this one bit. You can load up on ready-to-go snacks to spend more time with your beloved and avoid cooking food at all costs. Having an RV can be useful here as you can store drinks or frozen snacks in your RV’s fridge.
Here are a few of my favorite snacks that can get the game going.
- Popcorn: Butter, caramel, or cheese, popcorns can add flavor to your date night.
- Roasted cashews: Sweet or spicy, roasted cashews are a nutrition-rich must-have snack.
- Granola bar: An inexpensive yet yummy option that can add a zing to your date night.
Pro-tip: if you are planning to rely on just snacks/drinks, make sure that you buy the ones that last the longest, are non-perishable, and won’t melt easily.
Get a Few Quality Accessories
Once being a strong proponent of no-technology-on-date night, I would agree that you don’t need any modern device to entice your loved one. However, with experience comes wisdom and in all my wisdom I will say this: Having a few handy accessories can add spice to your date night.
Here are a few things that I found handy:
- Speakers: A portable speaker is always a good option to get lost in the magical world of music.
- Projector/TV/Tablet: Basically, anything that can play a movie will do. The nights are long, and an old movie can bring back a lot of nostalgic memories.
- Camera: A Polaroid is recommended because it reeks of love. A DSLR or a normal digital camera will also work. The goal is to take the craziest photos and store them for eternity.
Pro-tip: Ensure that your accessories have enough charge for your date night. Double-check your tablet or projector for any glitches. Keep a USB with a backup of movies and songs. The last thing you want is for your date night to turn into a nightmare (been there, done that).
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO ON AN RV CAMPING DATE NIGHT?
I have seen many lovebirds prepare the coziest ambiance for a perfect date night and then get stumped about how to pass the night. Essentially, there is an infinite number of things you can do on a date night, but I will keep it camping-centric.
For most couples, camping date nights are a retreat away from their technology-laden lives. If you are someone in the same boat and your partner is okay with it, you should just enjoy nature. How to do that? Here are a few tips to get you started:
- Stroll around the campsite: Walking is highly underestimated. Grasp your beloved hands and talk about the galaxies as you take a stroll around the picturesque campsite you chose for yourself.
- Stargaze: You can spend hours taking in the sky and looking at the cosmos with your partner beside you.
- Document animals: If you are more of an adventurous type like me, documenting different birds or animals can turn out be fun as you wander through the forest.
- Sunrise/sunset: You can do it the old way by just gazing at the changing hues when the sun rises and sets with a couple of drinks in your hand.
There’s something intimate about board/card games that you just can’t express in words. Board games are all the craze now, and for all the right reasons. If you want to spend a night that you want to cherish for a long time, board games are an amazing way to do that. Over the top of my head, I have compiled a few fun games that are bound to get you both in a fun mood.
- Monopoly (if you’re brave enough)
Pro-tip: Feeling super competitive? You can set up a scavenger hunt inside your RV, each of you hiding a few things and then giving hints to each other to find them. What does the winner get? I will leave that for you to decide.
There’s nothing more romantic than reading poetry near a campfire with your RV’s silhouette in the background. It can make your date night stand out as poetry – for the majority – tends to have a romantic glitter to it. You can read whatever poem you want to but here are a few personal favorites in case you need some motivation.
- Sonnet 18 by William Shakespeare
- Ode to a Nightingale by John Keats
- My heart leaps up by William Wordsworth
Pro-tip: Know a specific poet/writer that your partner likes? Choose out a couple of their poems/narrations and read those!
Even better if you can write a few lines yourself. Believe me, it doesn’t matter how good or bad you write. The fact that you tried and wrote a few lines for her is all it’s going to take to melt her heart.
WHAT SHOULD I DO TO MAKE AN IMPRESSION ON MY PARTNER?
Whether it’s your first date or one in a long time, chances are you may be feeling nervous. It’s important to control your nerves and get in the mood to enjoy your date night. A few things that helped me are listed below.
Make a DIY Photo Collage
A DIY photo collage is a great idea to get things going. You can collect the weirdest, cutest, and most memorable pictures of your better half and put them together. Short on time? You can use any photo editing software to make a ready-made collage. However, if you have some free time as I had, you can make a collage on a canvas and frame it. I used polaroid photos to give it a vintage look and it was well-received!
Pro-tip: Don’t have time to create a photo collage or you are confused about which photos to choose? Select your favorite photograph and frame it! It’s easy and will stick around as romantic memorabilia.
Write a Letter
How we gush over handwritten letters, lovers write to each other in movies with parchment and ink. Well, why not do it yourself? A handwritten letter has a certain romantic appeal that seems to stick around even in the technological age. Get your Wordsworth and Blake out, and pen down your feelings for your better half on a piece of paper!
Pro-tip: Presentation matters a lot too. You can buy an aesthetic-looking envelope to complement your passionate memo.
Decorate Your RV
Do you want to do something out of the ordinary? Send your partner to collect firewood and decorate your RV before they return. You can use LED lights to make your RV glow like a firefly in the dark campsite. This method is tried and tested by yours truly and works 100 percent of the time! Feeling more ambitious? You can adorn the interior with buntings, paintings, or hand-written messages. Can it get more romantic than this? I think not!
Food or rather the process of making food is a great bonding activity and can help you enjoy your time together. You can either do it the traditional way with a roaring campfire or you can take an electric stove with you in your RV. I don’t doubt your selection of food one bit, but here’s what I like to cook on a date night.
- S’mores: A sweet, small delight that is perfect for camping.
- Nachos with sauce/cheese: A spicy, tangy, easy-to-prepare snack that tastes like heaven.
- Mac and Cheese: A creamy, convenient option to enjoy on your RV date night.
- Barbeque: A steamy barbeque of beef steak or mutton chops with ranch sauce is a great option to bond over!
Pro-tip: From my experience, it is always better to cook easy-to-make snacks rather than go for elaborate meals. You should spend more time with your soulmate than worrying about food.
Remember, there’s no right or wrong way to plan your perfect RV date night. What matters is spending quality time with your partner. I hope that with the tips that we laid out, you feel more confident in planning your date night. Be bold, be confident, and let your partner know that they are appreciated by planning the perfect RV date night!